Maria-Fernanda Romero-Sarmiento joined IFP Energies nouvelles in 2010 as a research scientist in organic geochemistry. She holds a Ph.D. in Organic Geochemistry from the University of Lille (France). Her research mainly focuses on the following topics:
(1) Characterization of the sedimentary organic matter, complex source rocks (including their geochemical and petrophysical properties), oils, geothermal scales, corrosion inhibitors, lubricants, biogas, among others.
(2) Physico-chemical analysis of the sedimentary organic matter: organic extraction, kerogen isolation, open and closed pyrolysis, biomarkers (GC-MS), vitrinite reflectance, gas chromatography, stable isotopes, Raman, HRTEM, among others.
(4) Identification of potential source rock intervals: quality and thermal maturity including source rock kinetics (Canada, USA, Argentina, Africa, Eastern Mediterranean, Middle East, Venezuela).
She also supervises Post-doc, PhD and Master students as well as technical staff.
Project Leader: Integrated analytical services and R&D JIP in Organic Geochemistry and Gas Analysis (flyer).
Research projects: Advanced methodologies to characterize: sedimentary organic matter, complex source-reservoir rocks, oils, geothermal scales, lubricants, biogas, among others.
Master advisor: Potential source rock characterization in Tunisia in collaboration with ETAP, 2020.
Postdoc advisor: On-line compounds recovery system coupled to a Rock-Eval® device, 2018 - 2019.
Master advisor: Source rock characterization in Myanmar Basin (Thailand) in collaboration with PTTEP, 2019.
PhD advisor: Potential source rock characterization in Cyprus, 2016 - 2019.
Master advisor: Application of the new Rock-Eval® Shale PlayTM method, 2015.
Master advisor: Development of the New Rock-Eval® Shale PlayTM method, 2014.
Contributions to IFPEN applications
Industrial Software TemisFlowTM : Development and / or improvement of new models involving organic geochemistry concepts in basin modeling software: kinetics, organic porosity, gas adsorption capacity (paper)
2016-2019: Source rock characterization and petroleum system modeling offshore Cyprus (Eastern Mediterranean) by Sebastian Grohmann in collaboration with Ralf Littke (RWTH Aachen University, Germany), François Baudin (UPMC Sorbonne University, France) and Fadi Nader (IFPEN).
Invited talk at conferences
AAPG Hedberg Conference, Advances in Rock-Eval® Method and Source Rock Characterization to Predict In-Situ Liquid Hydrocarbons. Houston - USA, 2019. Invited oral presentation.
GEO 14th Middle East Geosciences Conference and Exhibition: Technical committee member, Manama, Bahrain. October 2021
3rd EAGE Geochemistry Workshop: Technical committee member, Online. October 2021.
Part-time lecturer, teacher: Ecole Centrale – Supelec (France). Teaching courses in Organic geochemistry to engineer’s students, 2013 – 2017.
2012 : Prix de Thèse FFG-TOTAL, a French prize from FFG – TOTAL (second place) for the best Ph.D. thesis in France.
2007-2010 : Program Alßan, a high level scholarship program from European Commission specifically addressed to Latin America (scholarship No. E07D402105VE).
- Romero-Sarmiento, M.-F. A quick analytical approach to estimate both free versus sorbed hydrocarbon contents in liquid rich source rocks. AAPG Bulletin, 103: 2031-2043 (2019).
- Cadeau, P., Romero-Sarmiento, M.-F., Sissmann, O., Beaumont, V. On-line recovery system coupled to a Rock-Eval® device: An analytical methodology for characterization of liquid and solid samples. Organic Geochemistry 144: 104014 (2020).
- Romero-Sarmiento, M.-F., Rohais, S., Littke, R. Lacustrine Type I kerogen characterization at different thermal maturity levels: Application to the Late Cretaceous Yacoraite Formation in the Salta Basin – Argentina. International Journal of Coal Geology, 203: 15-27 (2019).
- Romero-Sarmiento M.-F., Ramiro-Ramirez S., Berthe G., Fleury M., Littke R. Geochemical and petrophysical source rock characterization of the Vaca Muerta Formation, Argentina: Implications for unconventional petroleum resource estimations. International Journal of Coal Geology 184: 27-41 (2017).
- Romero-Sarmiento, M.-F., Euzen T., Rohais S., Jiang C., Littke R. Artificial thermal maturation of source rocks at different thermal maturity levels: Application to the Triassic Montney and Doig Formations in the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin. Organic Geochemistry 97: 148-162 (2016).
- Romero-Sarmiento M.-F., Pillot D., Letort G., Lamoureux-Var V., Beaumont V., Huc A.-Y., Garcia B. New Rock-Eval method for characterization of unconventional shale resource systems. Oil & Gas Science and Technology 71, 37 (2016).
- Romero-Sarmiento M.-F., Rouzaud J.-N., Bernard S., Deldicque D., Thomas M., Littke R. Evolution of Barnett Shale organic carbon structure and nanostructure with increasing maturation. Organic Geochemistry 71: 7-16 (2014).
- Romero-Sarmiento M.-F., Ducros M., Carpentier B., Lorant F., Cacas M.-C., Pegaz-Fiornet S., Wolf S., Rohais S., Moretti I. Quantitative evaluation of TOC, organic porosity and gas retention distribution in a gas shale play using petroleum system modeling: Application to the Mississippian Barnett Shale. Marine and Petroleum Geology 45: 315-330 (2013).
- Romero-Sarmiento, M.-F. & Ravelojaona, H. (2019). Procédé pour caractériser les composés organiques hydrocarbonés contenus dans un dépôt solide d'une installation géothermique : Rock-Eval® pour caractériser des dépôts solides en géothermie. IFPEN patent 19/0337.
- Romero-Sarmiento, M.-F., Cadeau, P., Sissmann, O., Beaumont, V. (2019). Système et procédé pour la détermination de la composition chimique des composés contenus dans un échantillon. IFPEN Patent 19/07457.
- Romero-Sarmiento, M.-F., Advances in Rock-Eval® method and source rock characterization to predict in-situ liquid hydrocarbons, to be published in 2021, Springer book chapter of Advances in Petroleum Source rock Characterizations: Integrated methods and case studies. Editor(s): Haytham El Atfy, Bandar Ghassal.
- Romero-Sarmiento, M.-F., Applications to characterize petroleum source rocks, to be published in 2021, ISTE Science Publishing book chapter of the Rock-Eval® method: principles and applications. Editor(s): François Baudin.