Pascal Raybaud is Researcher in molecular modeling applied to catalysis and Scientific Assistant Director in the Catalysis, Biocatalysis and Separation Division at IFP Energies nouvelles (IFPEN). He holds the industrial chair of RatiOnAl Design for CATalysis (ROAD4CAT). He is member of the Editorial Board of Journal of Catalysis, the international peer-reviewed scientific journal in the field of catalysis.
In 1995, he graduated from the École Nationale Supérieure des Mines in Nancy and from IFP School. In 1998, he obtained a PhD in Chemistry jointly from Technical University of Vienna (Austria), Sorbonne University (France) and IFPEN, under the guidance of Profs. J. Hafner, B. Silvi and Dr. H. Toulhoat. By using first-principles calculations, he investigated the nature of active sites of transition metal sulfides catalysts. In 2009, he obtained his accreditation to supervise research from ENS Lyon (ENSL). In 2010, he was awarded the Prize of the French Chemical Society’s Catalysis Division.
Combining molecular modeling approaches with experiments, his main research works are currently devoted to the atomic scale’s rationalization of heterogeneous catalytic materials (transition metal sulfides, oxides, metals) from the preparation to the reactivity. He also investigates new research avenues based on the molecular modeling-assisted rational design of innovative catalysts. He developed various centers of scientific interests: quantum simulation, surface science, homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis, physical chemistry, kinetic modelling, hydrogen storage, photocatalysis.
Since 2018, P. Raybaud holds the Industrial Chair devoted to the “Rational Design for Catalysis (ROAD4CAT)”, gathering IFPEN, Univ. Lyon, the Chemistry Laboratory of Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon (ENS Lyon) and CNRS. The Chair is granted by the 4 partners and IDEXLYON funded by the French National Research Agency (ANR-16-IDEX-0005). In addition to a Master teaching program, the ROAD4CAT research program aims at investigating the genesis and the reactivity of heterogeneous catalysts and photocatalysts by advanced quantum simulation. http://www.ens-lyon.fr/actualite/lecole/chaire-road4cat-signature-de-la-premiere-chaire-idexlyon
2014-2018: Coordinator of the project “Solid Liquid Interfaces at a Molecular Scale for Catalysis (SLIMCAT)” granted by the French National Research Agency (ANR-14-CE08-0019) gathering 5 partners. http://www.slimcat.fr
2007–2008: Coordinator of the project "Light hydrogen sorbants for mobiles applications" granted by the French National Research Agency (ANR-06-PANH-019) gathering 6 partners.
Teaching : Course in “Industrial Chemistry” in the Master of “Sciences de Matière” from ENS Lyon and Univ. Claude Bernard Lyon (UCBL). Course in "Quantum approaches applied to catalytic reactivity" in the Master of “Catalysis” from ENS Lyon and UCBL.
Pascal Raybaud is the co-author of about 140 scientific articles published in peer reviewed journals since 1997 and 12 patents. His h-index is 52 (WOS). He is the co-editor of one book entitled “Catalysis by Transition Metal Sulfides: from Molecular Simulation to Industrial Applications" published at TECHNIP Editions in 2013.
Selective list of publications:
34. "Thermokinetic and Spectroscopic Mapping of Carbon Monoxide Adsorption on Highly Dispersed Pt/γ-Al2O3." A. Sangnier, E. Genty, M. Iachella, P. Sautet, P. Raybaud, M. Matrat,
C. Dujardin, C. Chizallet. ACS Catalysis (2021). https://doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.1c04262
33. "Hydrogenolysis and β–elimination mechanisms for C-S bond scission of dibenzothiophene on CoMoS edge sites." A. S. Dumon, A. Sahu, P. Raybaud. Journal of Catalysis (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcat.2021.01.030
32. "Structural Characterization of Phosphate Species Adsorbed on γ-Alumina by Combining DNP Surface Enhanced NMR Spectroscopy and DFT Calculations." A. Hühn, D. Wisser, M. Corral Valero, T. Roy, M. Rivallan, L. Catita, A. Lesage, C. Michel, P. Raybaud. ACS Catalysis 11 (2021) 11278-11292. https://doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.1c02135
31. "2D MoO3–xSx/MoS2 van der Waals Assembly: A Tunable Heterojunction with Attractive Properties for Photocatalysis." M. Shahrokhi, P. Raybaud, T. Le Bahers. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 13 (2021) 36465-36474. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.1c08200
30. "Prediction of optimal catalysts for a given chemical reaction." H. Toulhoat, P. Raybaud. Catalysis Science & Technology 10 (2020) 2069-2081. https://doi.org/10.1039/C9CY02196E
29. "Size-Dependent Structural, Energetic, and Spectroscopic Properties of MoS3 Polymorphs." A. Sahu, S. N. Steinmann, P. Raybaud. Crystal Growth Design 20 (2020) 7750–7760. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.cgd.0c00981
28. "On the understanding of the optoelectronic properties of S-doped MoO3 and O-doped MoS2 bulk systems: a DFT perspective." M Shahrokhi, P Raybaud, T Le Bahers. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 8 (2020) 9064-9074. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0TC02066D
27. "Dynamic Features of Transition States for β‐Scission Reactions of Alkenes over Acid Zeolites Revealed by AIMD Simulations" J. Rey, C. Bignaud, P. Raybaud, T. Bučko, C. Chizallet. Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed. 132 (2020) 19100-19104. https://doi.org/10.1002/ange.202006065
26. "Computational chemistry approaches for the preparation of supported catalysts: Progress and challenges." M. C. Valero, P Raybaud. Journal of Catalysis 391 (2020) 539-547. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcat.2020.09.006
25. Atomic Scale Insight into the Formation, Size, and Location of Platinum Nanoparticles Supported on γ‑Alumina. A.T. F. Batista, W. Baaziz, A-L. Taleb, J. Chaniot, M. Moreaud, C. Legens, A. Aguilar-Tapia, O. Proux, J-L. Hazemann, F. Diehl, C. Chizallet, A-S. Gay, O. Ersen, P. Raybaud. ACS Catalysis 10 (2020) 4193-4204. https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.0c00042
24. “Beyond gamma-Al2O3 crystallite surfaces: The hidden features of edges revealed by solid-state 1H NMR and DFT calculations.” A.T. F. Batista, D. Wisser, T. Pigeon, D. Gajan, F. Diehl, M. Rivallan, L. Catita, A-S. Gay, A. Lesage, C. Chizallet, P. Raybaud. Journal of Catalysis 378 (2019) 140–143. Priority Communication. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcat.2019.08.009
23. “Combined Experimental and Theoretical Molecular Approach of the Catalytically Active Hydrotreating MoS2 Phases Promoted by 3d Transition Metals.” R. Arancon, M. Saab, A. Morvan, A. Bonduelle-Skrzypczak, A-L. Taleb, A-S. Gay, C. Legens, O. Ersen, K. Searles, V. Mougel, A. Fedorov, C. Copéret, and P. Raybaud. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 123 (2019) 24659−24669. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.9b08437
22. ”Competition of Secondary versus Tertiary Carbenium Routes for the Type B Isomerization of Alkenes over Acid Zeolites Quantified by Ab Initio Molecular Dynamics Simulations.” J. Rey, P. Raybaud, C. Chizallet, T. Bucko. ACS Catalysis 9 (2019) 9813−9828. https://doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.9b02856
21. “Active sites speciation of supported CoMoS phase probed by NO molecule: A combined IR and DFT study.” F. Caron, M. Rivallan, S. Humbert, A. Daudin, S. Bordiga, P. Raybaud. Journal of Catalysis 361 (2018) 62–72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcat.2018.02.017
20. “An Atomistic Description of the γ‑Alumina/Water Interface Revealed by Ab Initio Molecular Dynamics.” B. F. Ngouana-Wakou, P. Cornette, M. Corral Valero, D. Costa, and P. Raybaud. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 121 (2017) 10351−10363. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.7b00101
19. “Improved promoter effect in NiWS catalysts through a molecular approach and an optimized Ni edge decoration.” T. Alphazan, A. Bonduelle-Skrzypczak, C. Legens, Z. Boudene, A-L. Taleb, A-S. Gay, O. Ersen, C. Copéret, P. Raybaud. Journal of Catalysis 340 (2016) 60–65. Priority Communication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcat.2016.05.004
18. “Quantitative Two-Dimensional (2D) Morphology−Selectivity Relationship of CoMoS Nanolayers: A Combined High-Resolution High-Angle Annular Dark Field Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (HR HAADF-STEM) and Density Functional Theory (DFT) Study”. B. Baubet, M. Girleanu, A-S. Gay, A-L. Taleb, M. Moreaud, F. Wahl, V. Delattre, E. Devers, A. Hugon, O. Ersen, P. Afanasiev, P. Raybaud. ACS Catalysis 6 (2016) 1081−1092. https://doi.org/10.1021/acscatal.5b02628
17. “Tuning the Magnetic Properties of MoS2 Single Nanolayers by 3d Metals Edge Doping.” M. Saab and P. Raybaud. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 120 (2016) 10691-10697. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.6b02865
16. “Regioselectivity of Al−O Bond Hydrolysis during Zeolites Dealumination Unified by Brønsted−Evans−Polanyi Relationship”. M-C. Silaghi, C. Chizallet, E. Petracovschi, T. Kerber, J. Sauer, P. Raybaud. ACS Catalysis Letters 5 (2015) 11−15.
15. “Atomic Description of the Interface between Silica and Alumina in Aluminosilicates through Dynamic Nuclear Polarization Surface-Enhanced NMR Spectroscopy and First-Principles Calculations.” M. Valla, A.J. Rossini, M. Caillot, C. Chizallet, P. Raybaud, M. Digne, A. Chaumonnot, A. Lesage, L. Emsley, J.A. van Bokhoven, C. Copéret. Journal of the American Chemical Society 137 (2015) 10710−10719.
14. “Highly Active Nonpromoted Hydrotreating Catalysts through the Controlled Growth of a Supported Hexagonal WS2 Phase”. T. Alphazan, A. Bonduelle-Skrzypczak, C. Legens, A-S. Gay, Z. Boudene, M. Girleanu, O. Ersen, C. Copéret, P. Raybaud. ACS Catalysis 4 (2014) 4320.
13. "H2 induced reconstruction of supported Pt clusters : metal-support interaction versus surface hydride." C. Mager-Maury, G. Bonnard, C. Chizallet, P. Sautet, P. Raybaud, ChemCatChem 3 (2011) 200-207.
12. "Origin of the Enhanced Visible-Light Absorption in N-Doped Bulk Anatase TiO2 from First-Principles Calculations." M. Harb, P. Sautet, and P. Raybaud. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115 (2011) 19394–19404.
11. "Potassium silanide (KSiH3): a hydrogen storage materials". J-N. Chottard, Wan Si Tang, P. Raybaud, R. Janot. Chemistry: A European Journal 17 (2011) 12302 – 12309.
10. "In Silico Prediction of Catalytic Oligomerization Degrees." R. Raucoules, Th. De Bruin, C. Adamo, P. Raybaud. Organometallics Communication 30 (2011) 3911-3914.
9. "Pseudo-bridging Silanols as Versatile Brønsted Acid Sites of Amorphous Aluminosilicates Surfaces" C. Chizallet, P. Raybaud. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 48 (2009) 2891-2893.
8. "Mixed Sites and Promoter Segregation: a DFT Study of the Manifestation of the Le Chatelier's Principle for the Co(Ni)MoS Active Phase in Reaction Conditions." E. Krebs, B. Silvi, P. Raybaud. Catalysis Today 130 (2008) 160-169.
7. "Edge wetting Effects of gamma-Al2O3 and Anatase-TiO2 Supports by MoS2 and CoMoS Active Phases: a DFT study." D. Costa, C. Arrouvel, M. Breysse, H. Toulhoat, P. Raybaud. Journal of Catalysis 246 (2007) 325-343.
6. "Hemilabile Ligand Induced Selectivity: a DFT Study on Ethylene Trimerization Catalyzed by Titanium Complexes." T. J. M. De Bruin, L. Magna, P. Raybaud, H. Toulhoat. Organometallics 22 (2003) 3404-3413.
5. "Kinetic Interpretation of Catalytic Activity Patterns based on Theoretical Chemical Descriptors." H. Toulhoat, P. Raybaud. Journal of Catalysis 216 (2003) 63.
4. "Promoter Sensitive Shapes of Co(Ni)MoS Nanocatalysts in Sulfo-Reductive Conditions." H. Schweiger, P. Raybaud, H. Toulhoat, Journal of Catalysis 212 (2002) 33-38.
3. "Hydroxyl Groups on gamma-Alumina Surfaces : a DFT Study." M. Digne, P. Sautet, P. Raybaud, P. Euzen, H. Toulhoat, Journal of Catalysis 211 (2002) 1-5. Priority Communication.
2. "Ab initio Study of the H2-H2S/MoS2 Gas-Solid Interface: the Nature of the Catalytically Active Sites." P. Raybaud, J. Hafner, G. Kresse, S. Kasztelan, H. Toulhoat. Journal of Catalysis 189 (2000) 129 .
1. "The Adsorption of Thiophene on the Catalytically Active Edge-Surface of MoS2: an Ab-initio Local-Density-Functional Study." P. Raybaud, J. Hafner, G. Kresse, H. Toulhoat. Physical Review Letters 80 (1998) 1481.